Thursday, December 4th, 2014 is a date to mark on your calendars because at DROM in NYC, Yule Prog 8 is going down, pre-order tickets now! That’s right, the 8th Annual Progressive Hip-Hop Festival takes place at DROM and this year the line up features Strange Famous’ B. Dolan! The bill this year also features Armand Hammer, Uncommon Nasa, Curly Castro & Zilla Rocca, Willie Green, We Are Not For Them, Duke01 & Furious P, Skech185, Bald Afro and Jalal Salaam. For those not in NYC, this event will be live streamed online by Gander TV.
Furtive Movements in stores August 5, 2014.
New EP from Armand Hammer (Elucid & billy woods)
billy woods and Elucid are Armand Hammer, the NYC rap duo whose 2013 debut, RACE MUSIC, made waves with its blend of aggressive, experimental production and uncompromising lyrics. Their new EP, Furtive Movements, is both a continuation of, and departure from, their previous work. Fragmented musings of an imagined diaspora. Brooklyn bullshit in the shadow of construction scaffolding. Summer’s dog days set to the hiss of dusty vinyl. Drums wobbling drunkenly over ethereal loops. Elucid and woods hold down the lyrics with only one guest, the effusive Curly Castro, but Furtive Movements features an array of production from Blockhead (Aesop Rock, Ninja Tune), Von Pea (Tanya Morgan), Messiah Musik, Steel Tipped Dove and Elucid himself.
This is not an addendum to RACE MUSIC but a fully realized project in its own right with its own distinct aesthetic, mood and perspective. The EP will be available digitally and limited-edition colored vinyl (transparent orange).
VINYL PRE-ORDERS ARE NOW LIVE HERE: http://bit.ly/FurtiveMovements
DIGITAL PRE-ORDER & SAMPLE THE EP
on ITUNES HERE: http://bit.ly/1regTGM
1. CRWNS produced by Elucid
2. Dust Jackets produced by Messiah Musik & Elucid
3. Affection produced by Elucid
4. FUBU produced by Blockhead
5. Willie Bosket Remix produced by Von Pea
6. Duppy reprise featuring Curly Castro produced by Steel Tipped Dove
7. BET produced by Brother Hall
8. Touch & Agree produced by Messiah Musik & Elucid
9. Soft Places produced by Messiah Musik & Elucid
10. Black Ark remix produced by Blockhead *vinyl-only bonus track
Premiered by Potholes In My Blog this morning, Backwoodz Studioz is excited to welcome Henry Canyons to the team & announce the release of his debut; One Thousand Plateaus!!
“Offshoots” is the first single from Backwoodz Studioz artist Henry Canyons’ new free EP, One Thousand Plateaus. Produced by Boom Baptist, this video is a first look at an exciting new addition to the Backwoodz roster. Download his EP here, it features additional production by Backwoodz standouts Willie Green and Essex Dogs, as well as a billy woods guest feature! Check it out now…
Over the course of five tracks, the Brooklyn-bred, LA based MC lays out his unique artistic vision on One Thousand Plateaus. Effortlessly melodic flows and witty wordplay find purchase over a lush soundscape provided by BoomBaptist, Willie Green and Essex Dogs; Canyons work here is at once stylish and cerebral. Describing his thought process on the EP, Henry Canyons said “One Thousand Plateaus is not a narrative or anecdotal piece. Yes, there are stories inside the songs, but overall it acts as a display of a current state of affairs, at least how I see them. Inspired by Deleuze and Guattari’s book of sociological theory under the same title, the EP is my interpretation of their writings on social structure; particularly that of the rhizome. Difficult to pinpoint and directly define, the rhizome is a free flowing network of beings and systems that move fluidly through time and space completely free of hierarchy. Everything is an expression of multiplicity, the constant flow of desire, momentum, ebb and flow. Because of the perpetual motion and lack of hierarchical structure, there is no order or formula to how one must exist or consume.” Check out the EP now…
New Album from billy woods & Elucid
It is rare that two acclaimed solo artists, each just reaching their creative prime, come together to create something completely new. Nevertheless, two of NYC’s most innovative MCs, billy woods and Elucid, have joined forces as Armand Hammer. Backwoodz Studioz is proud to announce that today, October 22nd, 2013 we have released their visionary debut LP entitled RACE MUSIC. Get your copy now at your favorite retailer such as UndergroundHipHop.com, Amoeba & or direct from Backwoodz Studioz!
Elucid and billy woods are Armand Hammer
New mixtape Half Measures from Armand Hammer
On October 22nd, 2013 Backwoodz Studioz will release their debut LP entitled RACE MUSIC. But while you are waiting, enjoy this mixtape, Half Measures.
- Native Sun – produced by Jeff Markey
- My Blank Verse – produced by Small Pro
- Musical Chairs – produced by Uncommon Nasa
- Patra- produced by Messiah Musik
- Mozambique featuring Faro Z & Curly Castro – produced by Steel Tipped Dove
- The Press – produced by Blockhead
- Bottle Service – produced by Elucid
- Omega 3 Remix- produced by Concrete Sound System
- Blame the Devil – produced by Alap Momin
- Post Haste featuring Rob Sonic – produced by DOS4GW
- Gawdspeed Remix – produced by Surface Tension Beekeepers
- The Wake Remix – produced by Surface Tension Beekeepers
- Marooned – produced by DOS4GW
- The Good Die Mostly Over Bullshit featuring Curly Castro & Has-Lo – produced by DOS4GW
- Burnout – produced by Uncommon Nasa
- Fools Gold Remix featuring Open Mike Eagle & Moka Only – produced by Uncommon Nasa
Backwoodz Studioz is excited to announce the July 2nd release of Dour Candy, a collaboration between Brooklyn-based rapper billy woods (formerly of the Super Chron Flight Brothers) and Manhattan producer Blockhead (Ninja Tune, Def Jux). The album is fully produced by Blockhead and sees woods joined on the mic by Aesop Rock, Open Mike Eagle, Elucid, Moka Only and L’Wren. This project comes at an interesting point for both artists; woods is fresh off the success of his critically-acclaimed opus History Will Absolve Me, an incendiary LP that left a heavy footprint on Best Of 2012 lists. For his part, despite a veritable canon of work with Aesop Rock and a series of successful instrumental records, 2013 represents a new direction for Blockhead. “I decided I wanted to do rap albums again and I just reached out to artists that I was a fan of,” he explains. It has already been a busy year for the producer, who just released an album with indie veteran Illogic in April.
Dour Candy is billy woods’ first album working with a single producer, something that he had always wanted to do. “It is both a challenge and an opportunity,” the MC says. “It’s a challenge because you have to work within the one framework and stay on the same page creatively. It’s an opportunity because, if done well, the result is so cohesive that you never have to worry, does this beat fit? Is this the right mood?”
That cohesiveness shines through on Dour Candy, an album thick with “mood,” Blockhead’s versatile production shifting and moving beneath woods’ nimble baritone. The result is a 44-minute masterpiece of quiet intensity: New York City as a backdrop for a series of interconnected vignettes. woods is the cinematographer, setting the scene, his lyrics a steady reel of black-and-white images. Blockhead provides the score, lush arrangements that float easily between melody and menace. With Dour Candy, billy woods’ brings a keen eye and fresh perspective to themes of sex, drugs and cable news—all boiled down into this pulp paperback of an album.
The album will be available on CD and colored vinyl with artwork unique to each format, courtesy of London-based artist Ashes57.
Click HERE for a BIO on billy woods.
Willie Green has a lot of songs. A lot like “200 in the past six years” a lot.
That’s what Willie Green told Mo Niklz when he asked him to mix this compilation. The idea of narrowing down this many songs to the best 30 was a bit daunting; they finally threw in the towel, leaving the final track count at 38. But hell, if those last eight were so good that they couldn’t keep them off, hopefully you’ll find a way to forgive them.
From Willie Green, “I gave Mo a lot of license picking which songs would make it; I sent him a relatively short list of ‘must-includes’ and told him to surprise me. The result is a solid hour of some of my favorite cuts, along with some unheard gems, featuring Junclassic, Warren Britt, the Bronx up-and-comer Deshawn Supreme, and rap legend General Steele of Boot Camp Clik.”
These are songs Willie Green either produced or remixed. Every beat here is produced by Willie Green. The download includes liner notes with stories about each song. We hope you enjoy…
You can download “Days of Future Past” for free HERE.
Backwoodz Studioz is excited to debut the first official single, “Body Of Work,” featuring Masai Bey and Roc Marciano, from History Will Absolve Me, the new album from billy woods.
The track, produced by Willie Green, is one of the earliest that the emcee and beatsmith recorded for the album, and billy woods grew immediately attached to the track upon hearing it live in the studio. “The inspiration for ‘Body Of Work’ comes from chain-gang spirituals,” he explains. “All of the verses concern themselves with work, but also with getting older and trying to sum up one’s life, for better or worse.”
After laying his verse, woods knew he wanted features on the song, but he also know it couldn’t be just anyone, given the weighty retrospective – and introspective – subject matter. “I knew I needed some older cats on it,” notes woods. Each rapper builds on the themes that billy sets forth in the opening verse (“if you are familiar with the land issue in South Africa and Zimbabwe, the content of my verse might be a little clearer,” says woods), and each add their own personal experiences and emotions, bringing the track to life with three unique and insightful perspectives.
Uncommon Records and Backwoodz Studioz proudly present the 5th Annual Yule Prog Progressive Hip-Hop Festival at Southpaw in Brooklyn, NY. You can check out this years line up on the flyer below, and this year you can also pre-order your ticket! It’s $12 advanced and $15 the day of the show at the door. When you pre order your name will be added to a list, just give your name at the door at Southpaw and you will also recieve a 2 free random CDs (one from Uncommon and one from Backwoodz). The show features Meyhem Lauren, Open Mike Eagle, Marq Spekt, all your favorites from Uncommon & Backwoodz and many more! Make sure you’re there on Thursday December 8th for some Progressive Hip-Hop history.
With the release of Billy Woods’ History Will Absolve Me set for winter, we here at Backwoodz Studioz figured this would be the perfect time to drop some new (and old) Woods’ tracks. Being that’s it has been six years since his last solo, we thought you could use a little reminder of why Billy is one of our favorite rappers. A salad bowl of new, unreleased and classic material from Georgia Ave’s favorite son all blended perfectly by Baltimore’s own DJ Addikt (Murrland, stand up!)
DJ Addikt presents Cowardly Threats & Hideous Cruelty; The Best Of Billy Woods
DOWNLOAD NOW for FREE
from one of the following links…
2. Slaughterhouse (produced by BOND)
3. Aurora Borealis (Jamaican Brick Weed mix by BOND)
4. Chikirubi Remix (produced by BOND)
5. Family Ties (produced by Willie Green)
6. Consolation Prize (produced by BOND)
7. Weighting (produced by Willie Green)
8. Invasion (featuring Hasan Salaam) (produced by Marmaduke)
9. Georgia Ave. (produced by BOND)
10. Come On & Take It (produced by BOND)
11. Clockers (produced by BOND)
12. 52 Lashings (produced by Jazz Infinite)
13. Opium Scripts (featuring Vordul Mega) (produced by BOND)
14. Imani (featuring Vordul Mega) (Willie Green remix)
15. African Robotics (A.M. Breakups remix)
16. La Da (produced by Marmaduke)
17. Good Times Had By All (produced by A.M. Breakups)
18. Rent Control (Bushwick mix) (produced by BOND)
19. High Treason (produced by Marmaduke)
20. The Party (produced by Nasa)
21. Keep Livin’ (featuring Vordul Mega) (produced by EL-P)
22. Green Goblin (produced by Willie Green)
23. Stillife (produced by Casino Earl)
24. Xanax (produced by Marmaduke)
25. Death From Above (featuring Kong & Spiega) (produced by Essex Dogs)
26. First Blood (featuring Priviledge) (produced by BOND)
27. Concussion (produced by BOND)
28. Gourmet (produced by Two Hook)
29. Bastards Of The Party (produced by BOND)
30. The Big East (produced by DR MONOKROME)
31. Heroin (featuring Thrill Gates Jr.) (produced by DR. MONOKROME)
32. Gasoline (produced by BOND)
33. Guns and Pussy Remix (produced by Lex Boogie)
34. Cyanide (featuring Tommy Gunn) (produced by Essex Dogs)
35. Martyr Rock Remix (featuring the Presence) (produced by Nasa)
36. Two Blunts (featuring Goldenchild) (produced by Southpaw)
37. October (produced by BOND)
38. Believers (produced by BOND)
39. Bob Hope (produced by BOND)
40. White Worst (produced by Teleseen)
If you have never heard of Woods before, this megamix is probably as good an introduction as any. Culled from his early solo work, group tracks [as a member of the Reavers or the other 1/2 of the Super Chron Flight Brothers], guest appearances, limited release remixes and previously unreleased material, even the most hardcore fan will find something new in the mix.
History Will Absolve Me is slated for a winter release, with production by Willie Green, Marmaduke, A.M. Breakups, Nasa and Lex Boogie. A dark departure from his critically-acclaimed work with the now defunct Super Chron Flight Brothers, HWAM is will also be his first album release with a full lyric book, which, for some of us will come in quite handy.
For those of you wondering where BOND is, worry not, he and Billy are in the studio now working on an LP called Oliver Twist. Yeah, we know it’s the same one producer, one emcee record Woods and BOND have been promising since Camouflage but this time it is actually happening.