On August 31st, two of New York’s most celebrated new lyricists will be putting an exclamation mark on the summer, live at Public Assembly in Brooklyn. Since the February release of his sophmore LP, Grief Pedigree, KA has been lauded everywhere from Hiphopdx.com to the pages of the New York Times. All this without ever wavering from and even amid rumors that 50 Cent is trying to sign him, KA has stayed on the grind, releasing a slew of self-made videos that echo the gritty minimalism of his music. After rocking stages with Beanie Seigel and other hip-hop luminaries in recent months, this is KA’s first headlining gig in NYC since Grief Pedigree dropped! It is exciting and an honor to have billy woods open up for this show as it is sure to be a monumental one.
Friday August 31, 2012
Featuring Performances by:
BIG BABY GANDHI
@ PUBLIC ASSEMBLY
70 N. 6th Street
Williamsburg, Brooklyn, NY 112211
For his first NYC show since the critically acclaimed “History Will Absolve Me” lp dropped, billy woods will be performing for the Brooklyn stop with the “Them Boys Ain’t Right” tour at the Cameo Lounge. The “Them Boys Ain’t Right” tour begins Tuesday, July 24th in Boston! ADAM (of Uncommon Records) will be touring with fellow progsters, Brzowski (Milled Pavement) and Mo Niklz. They’ll be rocking five stages in five nights that will take them from Boston through Brooklyn; Portland, Maine; Newport, R.I.; and Bridgeport, Conn. for a Northeast tour. Open Mike Eagle, MegaRan, PremRock & Willie Green will also be sharing the stage with billy woods as special guests for the NY stop of the tour.
In anticipation of History Will Absolve Me dropping TOMORROW (!!!) whet your appetite with this banger of a freebie from billy woods featuring Open Mike Eagle & MarQ Spekt. produced by Willie Green & artwork by pemdesigns.
Backwoodz Studioz is excited to debut the first official single, “Body Of Work,” featuring Masai Bey and Roc Marciano, from History Will Absolve Me, the new album from billy woods.
The track, produced by Willie Green, is one of the earliest that the emcee and beatsmith recorded for the album, and billy woods grew immediately attached to the track upon hearing it live in the studio. “The inspiration for ‘Body Of Work’ comes from chain-gang spirituals,” he explains. “All of the verses concern themselves with work, but also with getting older and trying to sum up one’s life, for better or worse.”
After laying his verse, woods knew he wanted features on the song, but he also know it couldn’t be just anyone, given the weighty retrospective – and introspective – subject matter. “I knew I needed some older cats on it,” notes woods. Each rapper builds on the themes that billy sets forth in the opening verse (“if you are familiar with the land issue in South Africa and Zimbabwe, the content of my verse might be a little clearer,” says woods), and each add their own personal experiences and emotions, bringing the track to life with three unique and insightful perspectives.
With the release of Billy Woods’ History Will Absolve Me set for winter, we here at Backwoodz Studioz figured this would be the perfect time to drop some new (and old) Woods’ tracks. Being that’s it has been six years since his last solo, we thought you could use a little reminder of why Billy is one of our favorite rappers. A salad bowl of new, unreleased and classic material from Georgia Ave’s favorite son all blended perfectly by Baltimore’s own DJ Addikt (Murrland, stand up!)
DJ Addikt presents Cowardly Threats & Hideous Cruelty; The Best Of Billy Woods
2. Slaughterhouse (produced by BOND)
3. Aurora Borealis (Jamaican Brick Weed mix by BOND)
4. Chikirubi Remix (produced by BOND)
5. Family Ties (produced by Willie Green)
6. Consolation Prize (produced by BOND)
7. Weighting (produced by Willie Green)
8. Invasion (featuring Hasan Salaam) (produced by Marmaduke)
9. Georgia Ave. (produced by BOND)
10. Come On & Take It (produced by BOND)
11. Clockers (produced by BOND)
12. 52 Lashings (produced by Jazz Infinite)
13. Opium Scripts (featuring Vordul Mega) (produced by BOND)
14. Imani (featuring Vordul Mega) (Willie Green remix)
15. African Robotics (A.M. Breakups remix)
16. La Da (produced by Marmaduke)
17. Good Times Had By All (produced by A.M. Breakups)
18. Rent Control (Bushwick mix) (produced by BOND)
19. High Treason (produced by Marmaduke)
20. The Party (produced by Nasa)
21. Keep Livin’ (featuring Vordul Mega) (produced by EL-P)
22. Green Goblin (produced by Willie Green)
23. Stillife (produced by Casino Earl)
24. Xanax (produced by Marmaduke)
25. Death From Above (featuring Kong & Spiega) (produced by Essex Dogs)
26. First Blood (featuring Priviledge) (produced by BOND)
27. Concussion (produced by BOND)
28. Gourmet (produced by Two Hook)
29. Bastards Of The Party (produced by BOND)
30. The Big East (produced by DR MONOKROME)
31. Heroin (featuring Thrill Gates Jr.) (produced by DR. MONOKROME)
32. Gasoline (produced by BOND)
33. Guns and Pussy Remix (produced by Lex Boogie)
34. Cyanide (featuring Tommy Gunn) (produced by Essex Dogs)
35. Martyr Rock Remix (featuring the Presence) (produced by Nasa)
36. Two Blunts (featuring Goldenchild) (produced by Southpaw)
37. October (produced by BOND)
38. Believers (produced by BOND)
39. Bob Hope (produced by BOND)
40. White Worst (produced by Teleseen)
If you have never heard of Woods before, this megamix is probably as good an introduction as any. Culled from his early solo work, group tracks [as a member of the Reavers or the other 1/2 of the Super Chron Flight Brothers], guest appearances, limited release remixes and previously unreleased material, even the most hardcore fan will find something new in the mix.
History Will Absolve Me is slated for a winter release, with production by Willie Green, Marmaduke, A.M. Breakups, Nasa and Lex Boogie. A dark departure from his critically-acclaimed work with the now defunct Super Chron Flight Brothers, HWAM is will also be his first album release with a full lyric book, which, for some of us will come in quite handy.
For those of you wondering where BOND is, worry not, he and Billy are in the studio now working on an LP called Oliver Twist. Yeah, we know it’s the same one producer, one emcee record Woods and BOND have been promising since Camouflage but this time it is actually happening.
Today is the day that the Super Chron Flight Brothers new album Cape Verde drops on CD. To celebrate the release of the deluxe CD’s replete with extended liner notes, we are dropping the video for “Bmore” featuring Zesto. Check it out here…
UGHH will also have limited quantities of the Cape Verde remix CD called Direct TV. Cape Verde; Direct TV is a remix of the ENTIRE Cape Verde album. Backwoodz reached out to beatmakers of all stripes in order to reconstruct this future classic from the ground up! Producers include Subtitle, Lex Boogie, DJ Zesto, Marmaduke, Nasa, Dig Dug, AM Breakups, Essex Dogs, Army Fatique, BOND and Willie Green. With all new samples, Direct TV is the perfect companion piece to the last SCFB album.
It’s been a long time coming, as they say, but finally the new Super Chron Flight Brothers album, Cape Verde, has a release date (June 22nd). So what better to time hit y’all with the first single, “Reggie Miller“, produced by the incomparable Willie Green. And while we are at it, here is the tracklisting (or should I say, TV Guide) for Cape Verde. So twist up, turn up the volume and think back on the days when, for better or worse, “skunk” just meant it wasn’t completely brown, and the biggest bill you had every month was for your pager.
1. Reggie Miller
2. Golden Grams
4. Good Country People
6. B More ft. Zesto
8. Wheel Of Fortune ft. Masai Bey
9. Double Jeopardy
10. Strangers With Candy
11. Rap City
12. The Spin Off
13. 42nd St. ft. Lord Superb, Pastense & HiCoup
14. No Spin Zone
15. Unsolved Mysteries ft. Vordul Mega
16. Emmanuel Goldstein ft. Bigg Jus
17. Nigger Pennies
18. 100 Ft. of Cold Dirt ft. Johnny Voltik
19. Guns And Pussy
20. Paid Programming
The Super Chron Flight Brothers are back! Deleted Scenes is a prelude to Cape Verde, which is the official follow-up to their 2007 debut Emergency Powers. The mixtape is full of brand-new Super Chron tracks, remixes and unreleased exclusives. There is even a sneak peak at some new Billy Woods solo material. Cape Verde was originally slated for release this fall but now that the release date is set as 2/23/10, we felt like we owed the fans something to hold them over.
Deleted Scenes features guest appearances by Cannibal Ox, Invizzibl Men, Trife da God, Zesto, Pastense, Junclassic, Johnny Voltik, and more. Production is handled by Willie Green, BOND, Marmaduke, Essex Dogs, A.M. Breakups and Arcsin.
1. Michael Richards – SCFB
2. Guy Fawkes (Willie Green Remix) – SCFB feat Trife Diesel
3. Headband – Billy Woods
4. IFC – Priviledge
5. La Da (BOND Remix) – SCFB
6. Stories Of A Ghost (A.M. Breakups Remix) – Invizzibl Men
7. Consolation Prize – Billy Woods feat Vordul Mega
8. The Man Who Would Be King – Billy Woods
9. High Hater – SCFB
10. In My Cipher Remix – Pastense feat Can Ox, SCFB & Johnny Voltik
11. Forms – AM Breakups feat Billy Woods
12. Wright Brothers – SCFB
13. Trigganomics Remix – Vordul Mega feat Billy Woods & Junclassic
14. Telly Savalas – SCFB
15. Soft Shoe – SCFB
16. The Ritual – Zesto & Billy Woods
17. First Encounters – Willie Green feat Eleven
18. Chikurubi – Billy Woods
19. .38 Special – SCFB & Pastense
20. High Grade (Arcsin Remix) – SCFB
21 Lone Gunman – Billy Woods